LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Best 13 of 2013 | Makeup


I struggle no end when it comes to narrowing things down. Decision making is most certainly not my strong point. Choosing a select few monthly favourites is a struggle for me so as you can imagine, picking just 13 products I've enjoyed using the past 12 months was a task and a half, that's for sure.  Nevertheless, I managed to get it down to a selection of my most used products of the year - ones that will probably remain part of my daily routine for quite some time and some even topping the mark as 'holy grail' status.  I really have discovered so many new products this year - so choosing just 13 really was a tough call to make.  I could easily include a few more - but that would be cheating wouldn't it?  Hopefully, I've managed to choose the bunch that sum up my 2013 cosmetic preferences pretty well. Without further ado...Let's skip to the good bit, shall we?


1. The Concealer | Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer
This was an extremely easy choice for me as Estee Lauder's Double Wear Concealer has been my firm favourite for a good couple of years or so now.  I really don't know why it isn't more popular on the blogging scene as it really is the most amazing concealer I've ever used.  It lasts all day, doesn't dry or settle in fine lines, remains creamy and dewy looking all day and instantly brightens dark circles with just a few dabs.  Its slight peachy undertone helps to disguise any shadows.  It's pretty pricey at £21 (eek) but it just goes to show how much I really do adore it as I'm more than happy to part with the cash to have it in my makeup bag.  No concealer comes close.  And don't be fooled by it's appearance - this little tube lasts me ages and the saying 'a little goes a long way' is extremely true for this little beauty.  Did someone say 'holy grail'?!

2. The Foundation | Nars Sheer Glow
2013 will always be remembered as the year that I discovered the power of 'Sheer Glow'.  It's everything my foundation dreams are made of and I adore its very existence.  It buffs into the skin like a dream, covers blemishes and redness with ease and lasts all day without fail. Sheer Glow's medium to full coverage and satin finish create that perfect 'second skin' look and adds a certain inner radiance to the skin that no other foundation I've ever tried has managed to offer.  It's £30.50 price tag does make the eyes water somewhat, but I think if you're going to splurge on anything - it's got to be foundation. If your base looks perfected and polished - then anything else you apply will more than likely look lovely too! I have a full review of the foundation here if you're interested in weighing it up for yourself.


3. The Powder | Mac Mineralise Skinfinish Natural
I bloomin' love this powder - clear to see really considering it's been used within an inch of it's life and I've hit pan on it.  I've actually just ordered myself a new one! I'm extremely fussy with powder, and up until I discovered this one I never really used it as I don't really think my skin needs it an awful lot aside from helping to keep my foundation in place.  I don't like looking overly matte or 'powdered' and I don't have particularly oily skin - so Mac's MSF is the perfect product for me as it allows some of the 'dewiness' of my foundation to show through whilst combating any oilyness I do have around my t-zone area.  It sets my foundation perfectly and I can really tell if I haven't used it on a certain day - it really does help to keep everything in place and looking smooth and freshly applied. Again, at £22 it isn't the cheapest, but completely worth it in my eyes - this pot actually lasted me just over a year! I have an ancient review of it here.

4. The Primer | Loreal Professional 'Smoothing Resurfacing Primer
Ohhh do I have a lot to owe to this little pot of miracle-ness.  A lot of people tend to skip primer, but I use it every day - it's amazing how much difference it makes to your base makeup and this one by Loreal really is my holy grail favourite.  No other comes close - and I've tried my fair share! If I pop this on before my foundation, it applies a lot more smoothly and evenly and stays in place all day without fail. I have a lot to owe to this little pot - it kept my foundation going strong throughout summer and through long days at work with ease. I have previously written a full review of it earlier in the year here.


5. The Contour | Sleek's Face Form Palette
If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that I'm a huge fan of contouring and I never feel quite 'complete' without a quick dusting of bronze on my cheekbones! Sleek's Face Form palette has been, without a doubt, my most used contour product of the year (and I've been using their Contour Kits for a couple of years previous so Sleek really do deserve the medal with this one!).  It's easy to use, perfect for taking away on holiday and has everything you need for creating perfectly sculpted cheekbones for the price of just £10. Plus, the blush shade is a greate dupe for Nars infamous 'Orgasm' blush. Kim Kardashian? Eat your heart out! I have a full review here and also a little 'step by step' on how I use some of my contouring products here.


6. The Bronzing Product | Chanel 'Bronze Universal'
Oo this was a toughie - it was a complete toss up between this, Nars 'Laguna' and Bourjois' Bronzing Primer, but overall, the Chanel has to be my most used - and the most versatile bronzing product of the bunch.  It's definitely a 'hit or miss' product for some, but I really do love it and have used it all year round for subtle bronzing, an all over makeup base buffed in before foundation and even as a soft contour (seen in this tutorial here).  Again, it's an expensive treat to own and its not exactly a 'universal' shade as the name might suggest - darker skintones might find it doesn't show up and it could look a tad orange on paler skins, but I really have got a great deal of use out of this little beauty and for me, it works a treat. It looks scary in the tub, but once buffed into the skin it gives a lovely flush of bronze that looks beautifully natural - and because it's a cream product, it doesn't look powdery or false on the skin.  The lack of shimmer is also a big plus point for me.


7. The Blush | Deborah Milano Natural Powder Blush in 'Spicy'*
Again, another tough category for me as I'm partial to a new blush or several. Overall, I much prefer peachy tones and soft oranges for blushes and this one has been the perfect all-rounder for me.  It suits me both in summer and throughout the winter months - with or without a tan. I was actually sent this to review earlier in the year but I'd repurchase it in a heartbeat and will be doing as soon as it runs out! It blends like a dream, is picked up easily by a blush brush and looks lovely and smooth on the skin.  It instantly awakens my complexion and makes me look a little bit brighter in one swish of a blush brush (try saying that one fast...) Perfect. I have a full review of this beauty here.


8. The Mascara | Benefit's 'They're Real'
Firstly, I just have to drop a little mention to my ultimate drugstore favourite 'Maybelline's The Falsies' - I can't justify purchasing a higher end mascara every time I need a new one, however, this year saw me discover a slightly more expensive favourite that I tend to reach for when I really fancy something special! Benefit's 'They're Real' changed my opinion on plastic brushes and blew me away with it's lengthening and volumising properties - I've discovered eyelashes I never even knew I had with this little beauty! The little 'ball' at the tip of the wand really does help to get into the corners of your eyes.  It's amazingly black - and makes lashes look dark and lustrous all in one swipe.  It also lasts all day - in fact, it's sometimes a bit hard to get off but I really do love it all the same.  I have a full review of They're Real here.

9. The Eyeliner | Loreal Super Liner Perfect Slim
I love my kohl liners, but when I need to line my eyes quick, this Loreal liquid/felt tip liner wins hands down.  I prefer it to their ever famous 'Super Liner' because I find it much easier to control and get that much desired 'perfect line'.  It's easy to achieve a range of weights of line with the tip as it's easy to adjust the pressure - plus it lasts all day.  For a liquid/felt tip liner - it also lasts a good few months or so before I need to replace - I really was blown away and have loved it ever since I first tried it.  I featured and reviewed it in my April favourites a while back here - so it's been going strong as a go to liner for a while now!

10. The Brow Product | Mac Brow Set in 'Beguiled'
Ok. So I use a variety of brow products and never use just one to create my perfect brow shape - but this little brow mascara has to be my perfect finishing touch.  After applying my brow powder or wax (HD Brows or Benefit's Brow Zings if you're wondering!), I simply comb through a little bit of Mac's Brow Set and I'm sorted.  I have really light eyebrows - even if I have them tinted they still remain incredibly light - so I need something to really pick up the hairs, give that perfect 'HD' finish and give my brows some definition.  This product is perfect for me - it took a while to get used to - but once you've got the 'knack' - you're sorted. Well worth the money. One tube has lasted me an entire year!


11. The Eyeshadow Base/Cream Shadow | Mac Paint Pot in 'Rubenesque'
I love a good cream shadow base, me.  Again, this was a toss up between Maybelline's Colour Tattoos and Benefit's Creaseless Cream Shadows but this little Mac offering was my summer favourite for a good few months and deserved a little space in my top 13! It's a beautiful shade of copper-y gold - with a certain multi-dimension to it that is just simply stunning - it looks different depending on the lighting. I used this when on holiday to act as a base for further shadows and it really did make the colours pop as well as making them last longer. It also looks stunning on its own. I find it works well with my green eyes - and when I have a tan it really does bring them out no end! I have a full review here if you're interested.


12. The Eyeshadow Palette | Urban Decay Naked 2
Eyeshadow palettes have to be my weakness.  This year, the clear winner has to be my trusty Naked 2.  It's seen me through all 4 seasons as well as a holiday and a trip to London and is still going strong! My favourite shades have to be 'Half Baked', 'Bootycall' and 'Chopper'. I'm quite upset that 'Bootycall' is exclusive to the palette and I'm running out extremely fast (i haven't even swatched it for the purpose of the post because I can't bare to see it wear down any more!) - I use it everyday in the inner corners of my eyes without fail! I'm also a fan of 'Tease', 'Snakebite' and 'Busted' for a darker look.  Everything I need is in the one palette and I adore it so much.  I recently purchased the Naked 3 so only time will tell if it will manage to top the mark for my favourite palette in 2014 - it certainly has a lot to live up to though! 


13. The Lipstick | Mac 'Freckletone'
Ok. It's no secret that I am the biggest lipstick junkie ever. I actually considered including lipsticks in their own post as I have far too many favourites of 2013 to only pick one.  I could pick out a couple of my statement reds and berrys that I've been harping on about over the past few months (Collection's Prohibiton anyone? ;)) but all in all - I had to think about the 'everyday' shades.  The type of shade that almost goes unnoticed in your makeup bag because you use it so much.  I narrowed it down to the one shade that really summed up my 2013 as a whole and it's this one - Mac's 'Freckletone'. Not a shade I tend to see regularly pop up on blogs - but one that is without a doubt one of my most used ever.  I can safely say that this lipstick is the one that I 'wore down' quicker than any other - ever.  I actually had to stop myself from using it at one point because I was afraid I'd use it all up within the space of a couple of months.  It's actually said to be one of Beyonce's faves - and although I clearly haven't got the same golden skintone as her, this shade still looks amazing.  Think 'Shy Girl' but less creamy - it's more of a true peach with a caramel-like tone to it.  I included it in a favourites post about here if you fancy trying it for yourself!

Swatches

And so there we have it - my top 13 of 2013! I really have discovered some amazing products this year, and I have no doubt that most of these products will be carried well into 2014 with me.   I could have included so many more - but sometimes one has to be ruthless. The majority of the products featured in the post have their own reviews on my blog and have been featured in monthly favourites posts (i have linked all of these within this post) - so it just goes to show how much I really have loved them over the course of the year!

What were your top products of 2013? Any the same as mine?!

59 comments:

  1. The sleek face form palette looks great. I have the duo with the highlighter and the contours nearly ran out. I still need to try NARS sheer glow I say this every year. I need to splurge and purchase. Great favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo yes i loved the duos - they don't seem to do them any more :( But the face form is really lovely and the blush shade is stunning! :) xx

      Delete
  2. I love reading best of posts! I love the sound of the L'Oreal Primer, im on a bit of a make up ban at the moment but i may look into it after ive used up a couple of products as a treat or something!
    Great favourites - i love Benefit They're Real too :)

    Natalie xx
    Youralmostalice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie :) Me too! They're the best sort of posts :) Oo definitely have a look into it - its quite thick but if you apply a small amount it works so, so well!
      x

      Delete
  3. I have the sleek face form palette and I use it everyday! I also received the UD Naked 2 palette for christmas and I already loooove it so much :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it has to be my favourite palette out of the 2 first naked palettes. Its lovely :) x

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! I really enjoyed reading this because it gives me a little guide to what products i want to try out for myself. I have read alot of great reviews on the NARS sheer glow foundation and i feel ashamed that i have not yet invested in it yet. I have the L'oreal primer too, but i find it a little bit too heavy for me though~ I'm glad it works for you though :) Your photos are amazing and looks beautiful all the time.

    Thank you for sharing your best products in 2013. I hope you have a good new year! :)

    Ying ♥ || *- YingcBeauty-*
    X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Ying :) Oo yes the Nars Sheer Glow is most certainly one of the best finds of the year for me! The Loreal primer can be quite thick - i only apply a small amount and it seems to work well but i guess it depends on your skin type and preferences :) And thanks so much about the photos! So nice to hear you think that xx

      Delete
  5. Your blog Photography is flawless <3

    www.beautysblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much! :) This comment has made my day :) x

      Delete
  6. I love the look of Freckltone, such a pretty colour! x

    Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its beautiful - its a nude but not so much that it looks unflattering or too pale - its a lovely caramel shade! xx

      Delete
  7. love your photos polkadella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're always my go to beauty blog! Always love the content and posts... makes me want to buy absolutely everything!

    http://alicelouisa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou so much Alice! You've made my day :) I bet your bank balance doesn't love my blog too much then? haha
      x

      Delete
  9. Your contour and bronzer faves are mine too!!
    I still have the old sleek contour packaging without the blush - not really a fan of the new design!

    Charli... Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle, Hamsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yayy! They're great aren't they? I adore the Chanel bronzer!
      Hmm i must admit i was sad when they stopped the duo :( but the blush is a nice addition. Suits me much more in summer though so i don't always get a great deal of use from it xx

      Delete
  10. Benefits theyre real and the Naked 2 palette have been my favourite mascara and palette of 2013 as well! I really want to try the sleek contour palette and nars sheer glow, definitely need to pick them up this year x

    EmmiHearts

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many products in this post that I NEED to try asap!

    Krystal || Little Beauty Bug <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all of your picks - Nars Sheer Glow and the Naked 2 Palette are some of my favourites too :) I now have a few more bits that I want to add to my shopping list! x

    Rachael | www.overdosedemaquillage.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is so good, you've put loads of effort into it and you've made me wanna buy loads if those products! Gonna have to try the concealer and the colour of that mac lipstick is definitely up my street! X

    www.tillylions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh you got some good picks here! I really want to try that primer now, why have I never come across this!! I barely wear primer, only on days out ect but I think I may start wearing it daily. I love all of these products and now you've tempted me with even more things!!

    Liza | Beauty & Fashion Blog Glambeautys | YouTube | Family & Lifestyle Blog Glambambini

    ReplyDelete
  15. love this post! dreading the day my naked 2 starts to wear thin...
    http://gagaaboutbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/
    Charlotte
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It took so long for me to narrow mine 13 down too, totally agree on the Naked 2 it is just perfect, shame about Bootycall!
    CatrinTeleri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh!! fab post hun, love this collection of favourites, a lot of these are on my to try list for 2014 including the UD palettes, and Nars sheer glow. They look so beautiful so after reading this I definitely need to get on to trying them.

    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Half baked, chopper and snakebite are also my fave colours they make a stunning smokey eye xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a good post!! I definitely want to try the DW concealer and the Mac Mineralise powder!

    xxx

    www.maisymeow.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must try the Mac Mineralise powder! Defo worth investing in good face products! After all we do wear them everyday!

    www.georgiesloves.com

    X

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you did this post, all the photos looked lovely and with the swatches it was perfect. I really want to try the Chanel bronze universal it looks so nice! xxx

    Verity | Life of Verity

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your photography is amazing! I love the photos and great picks too! xx


    www.jesscaedmunds.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you have a mix between drugstore and high end products! I've also been loving my UD Naked 2 palette though I only recently got it so I couldn't really call it a yearly favorite. I'd also love to try the Nars sheer glow…when I eventually get it it's probably going to be one of those "blogs/youtube made me do it" purchases.
    Amber
    Lovely Notions

    ReplyDelete
  24. NARS Sheer Glow is awesome! Loved all your favorites. Great pictures! xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want all of these! I love the Naked 2 berrie-blogs.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. These photos came out amazing! We share a few of the same best of beauty products! I really want to try the Chanel Bronzer xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad that I own even one of those items, I literally took a year out of blog related things, so glad I didn't fail on the beauty front!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wish sleek would release a product with just the contour shade, I always hit pan with that and I'm left with the highlight shade! I have about 2 pallettes now that have no contour shade but a nearly new highlight shade!

    www.chlotalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You definitely hit the pan on some of these products, great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy New Year Beth. Buzzing to know you're a fellow Freckletone lover! It's such an unsung hero isn't it. Defo one of my staples, review here if you're interested...
    http://www.beautyandlechic.com/2013/05/free-back2mac-lipstick.html
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just (finally!!) purchased Nars Sheer Glow today after it was in everybody's 2013 favourites....I've been meaning too for ages and can't wait to start using it! Also loving Benefit They're Real in my yearly favourites :)

    www.walking-in-heels.blogspot.com

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm waiting for my Nars Sheer Glow to get here so I can fall in love as well, loved all of your faves (: - Stefanie xx
    casualllyawkward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. literally could not agree with you more about any of these products - they're all amazing! I don't actually own Nars Sheer Glow but I stole some of my friends and oh my as soon as I get paid it's becoming part of my life !

    heypip.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I must agree with you about deborah blush. I only use a different shade, but can admit these are far the best drugstore blushes.Blends easily, long wearing, natural shades and the most important - they do not break me out!What's there not to like?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. There's quite a few of my own favourites here - love Nars Sheer Glow, MAC Mineralise Skin Finish and the Chanel bronzer! You've made me want to try the Estée Lauder concealer too, it sounds amazing! x

    Elissa | styleaffix.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have a Sleek blush in the shade Life's A Peach and I love it so will definitely be going out and purchasing this contouring palette they do!!

    Harriet | www.fashionpugs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been wanting to try the Double wear foundation for a while but now I think I'll have to give the concealer a go too, I love the mac paint pots, rubenesque is next on my list, such a nice colour! x
    RosalieJayne

    ReplyDelete
  38. lovely post as always! mac's freckletone sounds great! X

    www.sparklethiscity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I can't get enough of Benefit They're Real! I have a sample size but I will definitely be purchasing the full size! Amazing stuff!
    danielascribbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such lovely photographs!
    http://bellamomento.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. I featured the Naked 2 Palette in my favourites of 2013 too,it is such a lovely product.
    Amy x A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  42. The sleek face form palette is amazing! By far one of my favourites. Your blog is so beautiful, followed on gfc and bloglovin :) hope you check our blog out.
    Ellie xx

    http://gingerandtheblonde.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've heard of Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation but I have to admit I have never heard of Double Wear concealer or seen it pop up on any blogs. I'm currently a bit lost when it comes to concealer because of my pretty bad dark circles which are almost impossible to cover, but this does sound like it might be just what I need x

    Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ahh such gorgeous photos Beth, as always <3 I think that it is about time for me to get the NARS foundation, you just made me want it so badly, it sounds perfect! *about to place my order*

    Rubenesque has been on my wish list for a while and I cannot wait to get it now! I also have green eyes and if you say it compliments them - I am hooked! :)

    Great post my lovely, I enjoyed it so much! Hope 2014 will be a wonderful year for you! <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nars Sheer Glow is something I want to try :)
    Great list!

    Kayla
    sheerbeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. The article gave us a significant Brainstorm session of all the possibilities we could make use of on our blog.
    Sat Work Chess Game

    ReplyDelete
  47. There are some great products here. LOVE your blog. new follower!

    tzeyien89.blogspot.co.uk xxx

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is the most in-depth favourites post I've read so far, and I love it! Some of the products you chose are my favourites as well :) I noticed you said you used Benefit's Brow Zings for your brows, and I wondered if you'd tried the Sleek eyebrow duo? It's such an amazing dupe for it, and it's a fraction of the price! Thought I'd mention it :3

    I definitely need to try that MAC paint pot colour... It's like a more coppery version of the Pink Gold Color Tattoos.

    Kerry x
    dulltoglam.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I always read all of my lovely comments. Make sure you check back as i often reply but if you do have a specific question and want a quicker response then please do email me over at birds.words@yahoo.co.uk or tweet me (@Beth_BirdsWords). Thank you for all your support! x