LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday 14 March 2013

How to Maintain a Blog/Life/Work Balance | My Tips


When you've lost your blogging mojo, it's very hard to find it again. Especially when you have a deadline looming or a week of late shifts at the office.  One of the things I have found whilst running and writing my blog, is how the flippin'eck to fit everything in to my time! Being a blogger means a lot of your spare time is spent taking photographs, planning and writing posts and tweaking every last inch of your little corner of the interwebs until your hears content.  I love blogging - I wouldn't change my little hobby for the world and I'd quite happily spend all my time tapping away on my little laptop - for me, it's something I jolly well enjoy and I see it as a big part of my life - but sometimes, other things can get in the way of my precious blogging time.

When I started my blog I had a full-time job. A few months down the line and I decided to go to university - which meant balancing writing my blog with deadlines, essays, coursework and all that jazz.. also having a part time job on top of all of that became a massive juggling act. Sound familiar? You aren't alone! I'm certainly no expert with this, but managing my time around my blog, uni work, jobs and actually managing to have a life has been something I've had to discover along the way - and I thought I'd share some hints and tips with those of you who might be going through a 'tough spot' - we've all been there, I'm sure. Think of this post as a way of having a natter about our time management woes.. after all, juggling the blog/life/work balance is pretty impressive. We must be super humans, us bloggers...

1. Photograph your stuff 'in bulk' 
Whenever the 'I really fancy making a mess and photographing some products' feeling arrives, I jolly well make the most of it! I take my photographs in bulk - if there's a few things I've been wanting to review for a while - I simply take the photographs all in one go.  I'm very fussy with my photos and I take hundreds in one sitting, so doing it 'here and there' doesn't work well for me. If you load them all onto your computer and place them in some sort of organised folder, then it's a weight off your mind knowing that should the urge to write a post crops up, you already have a library full of products rearing to go.

2. Schedule/plan your posts 
If you have a particular tough time at work coming up (in my case it was the summer holidays - manic isn't even the word!) or an exam or important deadline looming, schedule your posts!  It makes life so much easier and means that your readers will still be able to keep up with your blog and what you've been loving (or loathing) just recently.  Sometimes, it's hard to sit and write posts in one sitting but if the moment strikes you, or if you feel particularly 'chatty' one day - make the most of it and schedule a few for the next week or so. This way, your blog won't be neglected, and you have time to concentrate on other things for a week or so. Of course, your loyal readers will forgive you should you not schedule posts anyway - but if you're like me and are a massive routine freak - the option is there to get some posts in the bank!

3. Have a routine 
Notice when you have free time, and set aside that day to concentrate on your blog. I take all of my photographs on Sunday morning so I have a stash of content ready for the week ahead.

4. Don't get stressed over it! 
Blogging is a hobby, not a chore. It isn't work. It isn't the be all and end all and at the end of the day, if you prioritise realistically there are a few things that should come before it. Your readers will forgive you if you go a few days without posting or if there's a dip in your normal routine. Just think - when your next post pops up on their reading list they will be as happy as larry!

5. Keep a notebook or blogging journal 
The best blogging ideas strike us at the most inconvenient of times. That amazing idea you get will most certainly pop into your head when you're half way around Tesco doing your weekly shop. Fear not - I always have a trusty little notebook handy. Or if you can't find a suitable place to scribble any notes (leaning on a shelf on the 'frozen meats' section isn't exactly the best of ideas, is it?)- simply jot it down in your phone's notes or text it to yourself.. I'm the most forgetful person ever - so trust me on this one. It works. I also place post-it notes on my bathroom mirror if there's something I need to do so I will see it in the morning when I go to do my makeup.

6. Make the most of your lunch hour 
I used to sit and do uni work on my lunch hour - or make notes for posts. If you're feeling creative, don't waste it staring at the walls of your tea room - as much as that poster on company fire-safety policies is fascinating - use your noggin and use your spare time effectively! I've been known to jot an idea down on a paper towel before! (JK Rowling dreamt up Harry Potter on a napkin, don't you know?!)

7. Get your work done first
In other words, prioritise.  I will hold my hands up and openly admit I don't always do this - but I do try to.  If there's something that needs doing - if you're behind on your work or need to phone some chap about your car insurance - just get it done. Then you have all the time in the world to sit down and enjoy your blog related things rather than having that nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you aren't doing what you should be doing!  I sometimes say to myself 'i'll do some work up to this time, then have an hour doing this' - stick to those promises to yourself. If you don't you're on a slippery slope to getting in a right kerfuffle!

8. When you don't 'feel like it' - accept it
Sometimes a lack of 'inspo' ruins all of this. If you're not feeling particularly chipper, or if you've had a bad week or if you aren't too happy with your layout - sometimes you just don't feel like blogging. Accept it. I've made the mistake of trying to post when I'm not feeling like it before and I ended up never clicking publish. If you just haven't got the 'blogging feeling' - don't blog. Simple as that. Your readers will pick it up in an instant and it won't solve the problem. Just sit back, twiddle your thumbs and wait for your 'oomph' to come back - i find reading blogs and switching up my cosmetic routine works wonders! If you're lacking inspiration - bloody well find some! :)

9. Sit somewhere else to the norm
I usually just sit on my sofa when I blog - slippers on, cuppa tea, feet up - the lot. But if you find you're getting distracted then sit somewhere else.  I find if I sit at the kitchen table or at some form of desk - it's easier to concentrate on what I'm doing and what I'm writing.

10. Realise that hobbies are important
I hate calling blogging a hobby. A hobby is something prospective employers ask you to determine what kind of person you really are or something you have to explain in 'show and tell' at primary school - but blogging is a hobby nonetheless and one that shouldn't be ignored. If you love doing it, then don't give up! Work shouldn't take over your life so much that there is no time for the things you enjoy doing - and if blogging fulfils your life like it does mine (ahh cue the tears and inspirational blogger 'quotes') then it should stay as part of your life.  If you feel overworked, give yourself a break - you should never feel the need to have to 'give up' what you love for a your job.

Truth is, there isn't a 'how to'. There's no rulebook to how your manage your time as a blogger or as to how often you write. Just do what works for you and allow yourself time to step away if you ever need it. When your hobby becomes a chore, you need to re-asses. I'm sure these are tips most bloggers will tell you - but hopefully something in there has helped you in some way if you're going through a bit of a cruddy time with the whole 'life balance' thing.  Blogging around the 9-5 isn't easy, and blogging when you have a tonne of uni or college work on your shoulders isn't fabulous either - but set yourself aside some 'me' time and you'll find you can slot it in somewhere or somehow! Just remember most bloggers have been there, and will forgive you if your normal bloggery-habits slide a little. Give yourself a pat on the back and realise that being a blogger shouldn't mean 'stress'. Stress shouldn't be part of your blogging vocabulary...

How do you maintain your blog/life/work balance?


44 comments:

  1. I'm a new blogger , so these tips were really helpful! :) x
    Please check me out!
    http://theressomethingaboutalice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! Good to know they were helpful :) xx

      Delete
  2. Ooh lovely and helpful post! I already do most of the things you suggest, particularly taking photos in bulk (that's such a great tip to anybody who doesn't already do it), and planning in a notebook - I just use my phone notes but there's a whole bunch of ideas for potential posts and content jotted in there. Its so easy that whenever something pops into my head the phone comes out and i can type it out. This post was so relaxed and it made me feel really reassured about the times when you just 'can't blog' for whatever reason - there really is no need to worry! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beaut! :):) Yess ever since i discovered i should take photos in one go it made my life sooo much easier and ive done it ever since - for over a good year! Aw glad you liked the 'relaxed-ness' - haha ive been a bit stressed with stuff just recently so wanted to reassure other bloggers we all have the same worries sometimes when it comes to keeping up our little 'routines' :) xx

      Delete
  3. This is such a great post! I'm forever finding myself not having blogged for a whole week then when I want to there's no blaady lighting to Take photos! Nightmare, it never even occurred to me to photograph in bulk, duhhhhh thanks hunn xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks gorge! :) Ahh goodness me i know! Lighting is a massive let down in winter! Means that to get decent pictures you have to take them all in the morning before you go out to work which isnt practical at all :) no probs lovely i promise you that tip will change your blogging life now ;) hahaa xx

      Delete
  4. Ah this was so helpful! Haha i'm not quite balancing a job at the moment as i'm in the midst of GCSEs but i love my blog and try to make as much time for it as possible! Thank you Beth!
    xxx

    andshesaidwonderland.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! :) Oo yes i remember GCSE's were very time consuming! You do very well to keep a blog at the same time! xx

      Delete
  5. great tips! Especially as I'm experiecing a similar situation at the moment!

    problemsofapoorgirl.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I think everyone experiences a tough stage with blogging dont they :) its hard sometimes to keep it up! x

      Delete
  6. I do most of these things and find it is incredibly helpful.

    maddyscribbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :) i could never be without a blog notebook now! x

      Delete
  7. Love this post!
    Your photography is fab & the little additions to it are even better! How do you create them? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lovely!
      I use iPiccy to add the text and sometimes photoshop depending on what I want :) xx

      Delete
  8. this is a really helpful post! i started my a-levels in september and i'm still coming to terms with the work load haha! it can be really hard to balance the work and blogging at the same time which means i can feel really guilty when i don't blog for a while, i definitely need to start scheduling posts/taking photos in bulk and getting more organised with a diary :-)
    x

    http://vividiorquue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! glad you found it helpful! Ahh goodness A levels are a toughie to keep up with arent they! The notebook/photographing tip are the ones that help me the most :) it will make things so much easier :) x

      Delete
  9. I swear by scheduling posts it makes juggling uni, life and blogging so much easier! I also take photos in bulk, its such a life saver!
    Such a great post Beth!
    Natalie xx
    youralmostalice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I always take my photos in bulk and carry my blog notebook around with me incase i get an idea and need to write it down :)
    xx
    http://studsandcreepers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips, I'm with you on carrying a notebook and photographing everything in a bulk! Although I run my own business from home so it's a lot easier for me fitting it all in :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. really good tips! thankyou for this post, trying to fit everything in one week is sometimes very hard! haha xo

    Shabby Chic and Tea♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is perfect! I take all my photo's in one go too! It's SO much easier!

    Love your blog girl!

    Love Hannah at rottenstyle.blogspot.co.uk

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely tips, I love blogging so I think that helps because it doesn't feel like a chore:) x

    www.thebeautymist.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah i bloomin well loved this Beth! :D i love when other bloggers write up helpful tips & hints :D i sometimes feel stressed with my blog & i know i shouldn't it's my fun hobby on the side :D & i take my photos in bulk too if i'm feeling up for reviewing proucts :P & i also carry around my notebook for inspiration & ideas for posts - it helps me keep organised :)
    thanks for the tips & hints :D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Beth, some really good advice, especially for new bloggers like me who are also trying to balance uni and a part time job!
    Holly xo

    http://hollslucy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great and useful post, I'm a new blogger who has a part time job and at university so not being able to juggle it all was one of my fears but your tips are so helpful thankyou!!

    captivatingbeeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed reading this post think its great! x
    www.fromnicolewithlove.blogspot.co.uk x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great post, I've only been blogging a month and I'm struggling to find a balance, I have a job and a toddler and not enough hours in the day! I think I need to get organised! :) xxx Thou Shalt Not Covet

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab tips Beth, I'm the same I always take all my pictures together, it makes it so much easier. I also write a batch of my posts at the same time, as when a idea hits me I'm always worried I will forget it, I'm normally sat on the sofa with a cuppa and a movie and just type to my heats content :-)
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such good tips. Although I do most of these things I've found recently that taking pictures in bulk really helps me as it takes me no time to whip up & schedule posts but I was always waiting on my pictures. I also have a notebook where I keep a list of all of my upcoming posts, post ideas & a list of things I need to photograph. I keep a binder with printed calendars & write down whenever I post so I don't have duplicates. As someone who works full time, travels 2 hours a day & is a single mom I certainly have to stay organized so I don't get overwhelmed. Thanks for the top tips =) xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely post! I'm in a bit of a blog posting rut but I do love blogging. I too take my photos in bulk as I simply don't have time to do actual ootd pictures x

    http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tips, this has really helped me out to be more organised! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. i have a post similar to this coming on my blog in the next couple of days! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. great tips, I love posts like these! they always remind me to calm down and not to stress, it's a hobby afterall :) x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. I take all my photographs in bulk! then upload/edit all at once, put all the photos into separate draft posts and then through-out the month when I want to make a post I pick one and start writing :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very good post. I totally agree about blogging as and when you feel like it. I work full-time and don't get a lot of free time. You've inspired me to try a bit harder though. I'll definitely be scribbling blog related things on my lunch break today :)

    Maria

    Www.mareliwel.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really want to start a blog as ive just bought a house and i want to blog about decorating it etc, but its the design of my blog that holding me back, did you get someone to design yours? how did you learn how to make yours unique? xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some great tips! I like to take all my photos in one go too, it's so much easier :)xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some fab tips here. I'm in my 2nd year at uni and work so I always find it difficult to find any spare time to blog, especially with all of my assignments. These tips were a great help. :) Thanks xx

    astylesocialite01.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. this was a great post! very helpful x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this post, I always try to write everything down that I want to blog about xx

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fab post, I'm in my third year at uni so I'm really struggling to prioritise at the minute with my sky-high workload. This is a really useful post! xx

    paintedglitter.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi. This post was very helpful as I haven't long startedy own blog and sometimes I find myself not sure what to write about or being too busy to fit blogging in sometimes but this certainly helped thanks. Xxo.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this advice. Usually these kinds of posts miss the mark for my kind of situation and lifestyle but this hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete

I always read all of my lovely comments. Make sure you check back as i often reply but if you do have a specific question and want a quicker response then please do email me over at birds.words@yahoo.co.uk or tweet me (@Beth_BirdsWords). Thank you for all your support! x