LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday 16 June 2013

My First E.l.f. Haul | First Impressions & Swatches


And so it finally happened. I placed my first ever e.l.f order. Cue lots of gasps from the bargain-hunter beauty bloggers amongst you all. I'd spent a few weeks twiddling my thumbs and waiting patiently for a certain item to come back into stock, and when it did - I pressed the order button rather swiftly and felt jolly well pleased with myself.  I've sat and read countless blog posts about e.l.f products and had built up quite a lengthy wish list over time - so much so that some of the products I'd written down aren't even stocked anymore! I managed to compose myself, refrain from adding the whole website to my virtual basket and ordered just 4 things (I deserve a pat on the back for that big fat dose of willpower, surely?) - i figured I'd try them out, see if I liked them and then make an even larger order next time I fancied treating myself.  This post is quite photo heavy - I do apologise for those of you who prefer my shorter, snappier variety of post, but you have to understand I was incredibly excited when Mr Postman came a knockin' with this little parcel of bargainous, beautiful goods... Fat kid in a sweet shop doesn't even begin to describe...


Mineral Lipstick | Runway Pink | £5.00

I believe I ordered one of these when there was an offer on - as I definitely didn't pay a fiver (I think I paid £2.50!) Nonetheless, for a lipstick these days it's not a bad price at all and by the looks of this lipstick I shall be ordering another one pretty swiftly regardless of whether or not it's on offer. Runway Pink is a gorgeous salmon pink with yellow undertones.  It's one of those really natural, rose petal pinks that looks very 'vintage' and effortless on the lips.  It's noticeable without being overly pink.  I'd liken it to a lighter, slightly 'watered down' version of Mac's Fanfare if you're familiar with Mac's shade range. I'm so glad I picked this colour out - it's just my cup of tea and the creamy formula glides on smoothly.


 Powder Blush | Peachy Keen | £3.75

I've always wanted to try E.l.f's blushes - and it was extremely hard to pick a shade to try. In the end it was a toss up between this one and 'Candid Coral' - both my kind of shades.  I always lean towards warmer, peach tones when it comes to blushes.  Peachy Keen is a lovely light peachy/orange shade with flecks of gold shimmer running through it.  I'm not entirely sure if it will be too glittery for me just yet - but now summer is coming around I seem to be preferring a subtle glow compared with a matte finish.  I will definitely do a review of this once I've had it on my cheeks. When swatched, it seems really decent quality for the price - the pigmentation is particularly good.


Contouring Blush & Bronzer Cream | St Lucia | £3.75

This is the product that I was waiting for. I finally thought it was time to place an order when their popular 'St Lucia' cream contour palette came back into stock. If you're a regular reader of my blog, you might know that I am a massive fan of contouring - I'm always scouting out new products to use on my cheeks/cheekbones and I'm the first in line to try anything new if it has the word 'contour' in it anywhere.  This palette is a cheap and cheerful little duo containing a blush and bronzer cream. The colours are said to run similar to Nars infamous Orgasm/Laguna duo - I own both of these so it will be interesting to see whether or not they lean towards the high-end favourites. Whether or not they do - I still love the shades and cannot wait to start using them. When I swatched both colours I have to admit a little 'wow' escaped my lips (and that hardly ever happens so I'm hoping they live up to the first impression!) they're incredibly pigmented and smooth in consistency and sweep onto the skin with ease.  They seem creamy and soft - just what I look for in my cream products (I'm not a fan of cream to powder formulations) and I cannot wait to give this a whirl.  The palette is also of good size - much bigger than I envisaged (it's a good bit larger than Nars Laguna - if you're looking for a comparison!)

All Over Colour Stick | Spotlight | £1.50

Of course, I just had to complete the contouring cream palette I'd bought with one of e.l.f's All Over Colour Sticks. I opted for the highlighting shade 'Spotlight' which is the lightest of the bunch.  When it first arrived, I wondered if they'd sent me the wrong shade as it looks rather non-descript in the tube. However, it's a deceiving little devil - as when swatched it shows up incredibly bright - a great deal lighter and more noticeable as a highlight than how it looks in the tube.  I've been wondering if these little sticks are cheap versions of the Nars Multiples (I've recently got my hands on Nars 'Copacabana' so we shall see whether of not they're alike in any way!). I've really got into my cream products at the moment so I had to throw one of these in my basket. For £1.50 you really can't complain and I can't wait to start using it.


Swatches | Runway Pink / Peachy Keen / St Lucia / Spotlight

Of course, this post wouldn't be complete without a little swatch or two! I will definitely do a few reviews on these products once I've been using them a while and let you know how I'm getting on. So far though, I'm so impressed with e.l.f. Their prices are really fabulous and competitive with similar brands on the high street - and for the quality I've seen at first glance I will definitely be ordering again. The packaging is right up my street - sleek, black and simple and all boxed neatly. My favourite so far has to be the contouring cream duo - it's had my name written all over it ever since I first laid my beady eyes on it...

Have you tried any of these products?
What are your thoughts on E.l.f? What would you recommend?

41 comments:

  1. Great haul! I placed my first order recently too, and was so impressed! The lipstick is especially lovely, I got Runway Pink and Nicely nude, and they are both such lovely colours! :)
    Carrie:Brighton xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hoping to try elf for ages! I can't wait for some reviews, i'd love to place an order soon!

    xxx

    oliviasword.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving that lipstick. maybe I need to make my first ever e.l.f. order...?

    Charlotte - blotandreapply.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems, that the Elf products are REALLY great and worth for the low-price too!:)

    Will try out some blushes too:)!

    Bye,
    NIKA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like fine products to me! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peachy Keen is gorgeous! Nice haul

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now need the Cream contouring and blush palette and the all over colour stick!:D xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pigmentation of all these products look fantastic! I've never tried any products but I'd love to get my hands on some, where do you order these from and do you pay much postage? (:

    -Lucy xox

    http://make-up-mogul.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh I haven't bought ELF for a good couple of years now, I think it was when they we're just releasing the Studio line. The products look like they have come a long way, I may just have to accidently pop over to their website. The contouring cream palette looks right up my street, I'll be keeping an eye out for a review :).

    barbiesparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I've never tried Elf before, but these products look so interesting and such good prices too! x

    Alavish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to place an order now! I would do if I hadn't recently ordered rather a lot of nail polish :p x

    http://theressomethingaboutalice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful colours! I've wanted the contour duo for a while and was considering the same in powder form but after this I may just have to buy the cream version!
    Annoyingly I've been wating over a month for their powder to come back in stock, hoping to place an order soon so now I'll be adding more to it!
    Sam
    amodelinlondon.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Runaway Pink is one of my favourite lipsticks - such a love nude pink colour!
    Great haul lovely :)
    Natalie xx
    youralmostalice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to place another ELF order! I got some stuff from there last year and really liked most of it and now there's so many new products that I want to try. I was really impressed with the eyeshadow primer and I really like their eyeshadow brushes too. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. ELF blushes remind me so much of NARS ones - they're amazing dupes! I love the ELF stipple brush too x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such good purchases here :) I own Peachy Keen and Runway Pink, both of which I really own. Would love to see an in depth review of the St Lucia duo, I have the original powder version and use them every day... now I'm contemplating the cream version too! x

    izzisaur.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't bought from elf in so long, I love the tube highlights! So cheap but always look lovely on xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The peachy keen blusher is gorgeous! I've never ordered from Elf either, but the blusher really is tempting me...

    www.crazylins.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOOOO! these look so good to buy! I've heard people rave about e.l.f but never went to buy anything or even have a browse around the website but after seeing your post you have changed my mind :D all the products you have bought look really promising.

    The St. Lucia looks like a creamy dupe to the old sleek contour palette plus the packaging for this & the blusher reminds me of Nars :)
    i can't believe the how bright the highlighter stick is! bet it will give a nice glow :)
    & the prices are unbelievably cheap too!! might need to treat myself like you said :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. great haul! i really love elf!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, Runway Pink is a gorgeous lipstick x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love them all!Pls post more! Shall we follow each other? i love comment and browse blogs i followed!
    XOXO
    Poppy:
    http://me-poppy.blogspot.com
    Pls leave a message if u follow me , i will follow back soon~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow I am SO jealous you got the cream duo, it's gorgeous! I love elf too! If you make another order, you should check out the mineral lip tints, studio kabuki brush, and their awesome shimmering face whips!

    xo aly

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've also never ordered from Elf, even though I've filled my basket up on the site a couple of times! Love the look of everything you bought especially the cream contour palette, I've been looking for something just like this for my handbag x

    ReplyDelete
  25. The lipstick looks so lovely. Love it!!! Please check out my blog www.rachelspick.wordpress.com i really hope you like itxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the blog! I've ordered from ELF hundreds of times, but reading this post is making me want to go back on again and search for some of these items!! In particular the lipstick and the St Lucia contouring kit!! I was wondering how dark the bronzer is in this duo? If you have tried it out as a contour I'd love to know how dark you found it.. and if it's at all orangey? Thanks for tempting me back to ELF haha!

    Think I might have to give your blog a little follow now too! So girly :) xx

    KDbeautylife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love ELF products!! I have the powder version of the cream blush and bronzer. I am giving away a ELF gel eyeliner in black on my blog right now!


    Emily
    eageremily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great haul, never tried any Elf products before must give them a go:) X
    myloveforxx.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  29. their brow gel is amazing! I always buy it above any high end ones and it's only £1.50 :) x

    http://thebeautyvisual.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  30. Elf is always hit or miss for me. : ( I never knew they did the St. Lucia duo in a cream form though! It looks too intense for someone with skin as pale as mine. I really like elf's daily brush cleaner and its cleansing shampoo. I mostly stick to their accessory makeup products than the actual makeup.

    http://fairycircles.net/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really want to try the ELF mascara primer and makeup setting spray but there's not really enough to justify me having it shipped over but hoping my friends will grab me some in Florida :)
    http://redlipsblackflicks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the all over colour stick. Haven't tried this shade though, it looks like a great wee highlighter! Xo

      Delete
  32. ELF are so good for bargains, glad you found some awesome products to order :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE elf, the makeup is usually really good value for money. there is a couple of unimpressive products, so make sure you research before ordering, but most of them are incredible! xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Now I REALLY want to visit the new free standing ELF store they just set up in my city! So cheap and the products are always so raved about! I can spend $50 and walk out with a truck load of goodies. You picked up some great things, I especially love that blush! :)

    - Jess
    The Mod Mermaid

    ReplyDelete
  35. Never seen Elf in the UK before but wow how good do these products look for how little they cost?? Amazing xo

    thebookofsian.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  36. Peachy Keen is a gorgeous colour, that will suit you :) I've never tried anything from elf either, I've considered ordering in the past I've just never got around to it.

    Amy xx
    A Little Boat Sailing

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this post Beth :) I did my first ELF order a few weeks ago and have been so impressed with their lipsticks, runway pink has become my staple everyday lip colour :) Really want to try some peach/coral toned blushers as I always go for pink but really like peach when I've seen it on other people with blonde hair. The all over colour stick looks really good too, I can never get over how cheap their prices are!!
    Love Holly x

    h-c-style.blogspot.co.uk // h-c-beauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the elf products. I use the elf Eyebrow Kit which is the best eyebrow kit I've used! I also use the elf liquid eyeliner, and its pretty good too!

    The Lilly Mint Blog

    ReplyDelete

I always read all of my lovely comments. Make sure you check back as i often reply but if you do have a specific question and want a quicker response then please do email me over at birds.words@yahoo.co.uk or tweet me (@Beth_BirdsWords). Thank you for all your support! x